Some sources of The Hollywood Reporter have revealed that the next installment in Warner Bros. Godzilla Monsterverse, Godzilla vs. Kong, may see a theatrical as well as digital release.
WB plans to release Godzilla Vs. Kong in two ways
THR stated that leading streaming platform Netflix offered a whopping $200 million to get the streaming rights for the new movie, but WB rejected the bid and put on the table their offer to release the movie on its own streaming platform, HBO Max. A representative of WB disclosed to THR, “Godzilla Vs. Kong will be released next year globally in theaters as we have planned.” The report also cited that Legendary, the production company behind the film, put in 75% of the finances and the rest 25% was taken care of by WB.
WB’s role in the movie is crucial as it will be the one that’ll look after the distribution plan for the movie. CEO of WB, Jason Kilar, and Chairman of WB, Ann Sarnoff, are now engaged in negotiations for the release of the new movie and it will most likely see a release in theaters. This would a not be new area for WB, as the organization as of late declared that another of its big movies, Wonder Woman 1984, will deliver in theaters and on HBO Max this Christmas.
The renewed monsterverse took off with Godzilla in 2014 and was kept moving by Kong: Skull Island†in 2017. A third installment in the franchise was released in 2019 called Godzilla: King of the Monsters that featured Millie Bobby Brown. The three movies have performed well at the global level and were able to engross more than $1.5 billion. By the name of the movie, it is pretty clear that Godzilla Vs. Kong will bring to the screen a standoff between Godzilla and King Kong.