Real Estelí Stuns America, Monterrey Dominates Comunicaciones
In the opening matches of the Concacaf Champions League, Mexican teams experienced contrasting outcomes:
1. Real Estelí Upsets America:
- Despite being heavy favorites, America suffered a surprising 2-1 defeat against Real Estelí.
- America rested key players, including Diego Valdés, Álvaro Fidalgo, and Jonathan dos Santos, but failed to display sharpness on the field.
- Real Estelí capitalized on defensive lapses by America, securing an early lead through a penalty converted by Byron Bonilla in the 7th minute.
- The hosts extended their lead to 2-0 shortly after halftime, with defender Marvin Fletes scoring from a corner kick.
- Despite a late goal by America’s Julián Quiñones, Real Estelí’s disciplined defense held firm, securing a memorable victory.
- The two teams will face off again in the second leg at Estadio Azteca.
2. Monterrey Dominates Comunicaciones:
- Monterrey showcased their dominance with a convincing 4-1 victory over Comunicaciones in Guatemala City.
- Despite an early challenge from the hosts, Monterrey settled into the game and took the lead with a header from Germán Berterame in the 22nd minute.
- Comunicaciones managed to equalize before halftime, but Monterrey regained control in the second half.
- Arturo González, Luis Romo, Jesús Gallardo, and Rodrigo Aguirre scored for Monterrey, securing a comfortable win.
- Despite Comunicaciones’ resilience, Monterrey’s superior possession and clinical finishing proved decisive.
- Monterrey will aim to maintain their momentum as they progress further in the tournament.
The contrasting results highlight the unpredictability of the Concacaf Champions League and set the stage for an exciting journey for Mexican teams in the competition.