Marvel’s Netflix shows may have already killed New York’s scariest street-level villain before he got to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Kingpin, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones in Netflix Marvel Shows and the MCU
- Daredevil: Born Again may feature Jessica Jones in a small role, but Kilgrave likely won’t be able to join the MCU in any capacity, as he was killed off in the Jessica Jones season 1 finale.
- Kingpin’s interest in politics hints at a potential adaptation of the Marvel Comics storyline Devil’s Reign, where Killgrave a.k.a. Purple Man helps Wilson Fisk persecute NYC superheroes.
- Elektra’s ambiguous ending in Defenders opens the possibility for more resurrections using the Hand’s substance, which could allow Kilgrave’s to return in a future MCU installment.
The MCU may not be able to use Marvel’s most dangerous street-level villain in Daredevil: Born Again, which likely features one of Matt Murdock’s superpowered allies in its cast. The MCU’s upcoming Daredevil: Born Again culminates all the MCU cameos and supporting roles from characters who were first introduced in Marvel’s Netflix shows. Besides Charlie Cox’s Matt Murdock, Daredevil: Born Again’s cast also includes Vincent D’Onofrio’s Wilson Fisk and Jon Bernthal’s Frank Castle. However, Daredevil, Kingpin, and the Punisher may not be the only Marvel-Netflix characters coming back, as one major Marvel actor has teased her return as well.
On January 30, 2024, Jessica Jones star Krysten Ritter teased her return with a picture of herself wearing a shirt she wore in the series. Jessica Jones has already fought alongside Matt Murdock during the events of Defenders, and she could find herself involved in Kingpin’s dirty tactics to gain political power in Daredevil: Born Again, which he expressed interest in during the Echo finale’s post-credits scene. In fact, Kingpin relies on a key Jessica Jones character to become NYC mayor in the comics, though it doesn’t seem like the MCU will be able to adapt the story accurately.
Kilgrave Is Key To Kingpin’s Master Plan In Marvel Comics
Kingpin Uses Purple Man’s Mind Control Abilities To Execute His Master Plan in Devil’s Reign
Kingpin’s interest in politics suggests the MCU will adapt the Marvel Comics storyline Devil’s Reign, where Wilson Fisk persecutes all superheroes as soon as he becomes the mayor of New York City. To achieve it, Kingpin visits Zebediah Killgrave a.k.a. Purple Man and cuts one of his fingers. Fisk then embeds Killgrave’s finger in his staff and uses its mind-controlling abilities to manipulate anyone who opposes his plans. Kingpin also employs Killgrave, Killgrave’s children, Doctor Octopus, and the Thunderbolts to tyrannize the heroes and influence the whole city.
Even if the MCU had access to all the characters featured in Devil’s Reign, it’s unlikely that Kingpin’s political campaign would rely on a mind-controlling staff and Kilgrave’s children. However, David Tennant’s Kevin Thompson a.k.a. Kilgrave could still play an important role, perhaps influencing citizens’ opinions more subtly. A wider variety of targets would be a natural progression for Kilgrave after his long and self-destructive obsession with Jessica Jones. And besides thrilling, Jessica Jones’ reunion with Kilgrave in the MCU’s Devil’s Reign would be faithful to the original storyline, where she’s the one who unveils Kilgrave’s contribution to Kingpin’s plans.
Krysten Ritter’s Jessica Jones Already Killed Kilgrave
Killing Kilgrave Was The Only Way Jessica Jones Could Move On
In the Jessica Jones season 1 finale, Jessica breaks Kilgrave’s neck after overcoming his mind control. Kilgrave’s influence on Jessica’s mind lingers for a while, but the villain himself remains unquestionably dead. Jessica Jones considers leaving her regular life behind and starting over somewhere else, but she ultimately decides to stay in order to make Kilgrave’s death worth the effort. Now, Jessica Jones could be one of the heroes targeted by Kingpin in the MCU’s Devil’s Reign adaptation, free from the worry that Kilgrave will return to torment her once again.
Kingpin Already Holds An Impressive MCU Villain Record
Thanks to a key reveal, Wilson Fisk’s Kingpin holds quite an impressive record over other established Marvel villains in the modern MCU era. Kilgrave’s death is a logical conclusion to Jessica Jones’ main conflict. Unfortunately, Kilgrave’s death also means that David Tennant’s terrifying villain won’t be able to factor in the MCU’s street-level stories unless he appears inside Jessica Jones’ mind as a reflection of her painful memories. Without him, the MCU will likely miss the chance to explore Kilgrave’s alliance with Kingpin, as well as creative fight scenes between Kilgrave and other street-level characters such as the Punisher, Spider-Man, and Moon Knight.
Netflix’s Marvel Shows Established How Any Character Can Be Resurrected
Despite their grounded style, Marvel’s now-canonized Netflix shows introduced several fantastical elements such as resurrection and dark magic. In Defenders, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist oppose the Hand’s attempt to exploit “the substance”, the main element in the creation of a resurrection elixir. Hidden within the bones of an underground dragon skeleton, a small amount of the substance allows Elektra to come back from the dead, though she’s presumed dead after she fails to reach the dragon bones as the cave where they were located collapses.
The substance still exists underneath NYC and Elektra’s death wasn’t explicitly shown on screen. If Elektra and some surviving Hand members managed to survive, they could have acquired at least a small amount of the substance before escaping. With a low profile and a new revenge plan, Elektra and the remaining Hand acolytes could consider resurrecting Kilgrave, one of New York’s most powerful and dangerous villains. If not to form an alliance with him, Elektra and the Hand could resurrect Kilgrave to study and acquire his powerful mind control abilities prior to Kingpin’s mayor campaign in Daredevil: Born Again.
- Can Kilgrave return in the MCU even after his death in Jessica Jones?
- While Kilgrave’s death was definitive in Jessica Jones, Marvel’s Netflix shows introduced elements like resurrection that could potentially bring him back in the MCU.
- Why is Kilgrave considered one of Marvel’s best villains?
- Kilgrave’s mind control abilities, combined with David Tennant’s performance, made him a standout villain in Jessica Jones, posing a significant threat to the heroes.
- What is Devil’s Reign, and how does it involve Kilgrave?
- Devil’s Reign is a Marvel Comics storyline where Kingpin becomes mayor and uses Kilgrave’s mind control abilities to manipulate NYC. This storyline may influence the MCU adaptation.
- Is Kingpin’s political interest in the MCU related to Devil’s Reign?
- Kingpin’s interest in politics hints at a potential adaptation of Devil’s Reign, where Kilgrave plays a key role in manipulating superheroes.
- Could Kilgrave’s children be introduced in the MCU even if Kilgrave himself can’t return?
- While Kilgrave’s children were part of the Devil’s Reign storyline, their introduction in the MCU may be unlikely due to Kilgrave’s absence.
- What other Marvel characters could be influenced by Kilgrave in the MCU?
- Kilgrave’s mind control abilities could potentially influence various characters in the MCU, adding complexity to future storylines.
- How might Kilgrave’s absence affect the dynamic between Kingpin and other Marvel characters in Daredevil: Born Again?
- Kilgrave’s absence could alter the dynamic between Kingpin and other characters, leading to new conflicts and plot developments.
- Is there a possibility of Kilgrave appearing as a hallucination or memory in future MCU projects?
- While Kilgrave may not return physically, his presence could be felt through hallucinations or memories in future MCU projects involving characters like Jessica Jones.
- Could Kilgrave’s absence open up opportunities for other villains to take center stage in the MCU?
- Kilgrave’s absence could create opportunities for new villains to emerge and become primary antagonists in MCU storylines.
- What other avenues besides Kilgrave could Kingpin explore to achieve his goals in the MCU?
- Kingpin may explore alternative strategies to achieve his goals, such as forming alliances with other villains or utilizing different resources at his disposal.