Buying home furniture for an American citizen can cost several thousand dollars. Accordingly, one of the main tasks for the homeowner is to increase the durability of your favorite sofa. Not a bad option seems to be recliner covers. In fact, this is a protective fabric that saves your furniture from wear and tear, as well as damage that can be caused by animals, or children. Moreover, you will need such products if you like to spend a lot of free time on the chair. After all, you can accidentally drop your dinner, or spill your drink. It is much easier to wash the cover than to clean the chair. Even if the stain can not be removed from the protective fabric, you can buy a new one. To do this, you can use the services of companies that specialize in covers. For example, Mamma Mia Covers has been producing premium quality products for years. A large selection of quality products attracts the attention of the target audience and motivates them to buy the option you are interested in.
However, some Americans take an alternative solution and make covers with their own hands. Of course, the process takes much more time than the usual trip to the store. However, there is an opportunity to save money. The main condition – experience in sewing, without which you can not make a normal cover. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is still better to give preference to the purchase of the product.
A person who is first engaged in the creation of a cover, should be prepared for the fact that the performance of all the stages can take a whole day. Subsequently, together with experience, the creation of a protective canvas will take much less time.
The process itself is as follows:
- First, look closely at the room in which your chair will stand, its interior, the color scheme, the atmosphere it creates.Try to imagine the finished composition.This will help you decide on the color and material of upholstery. When the overall picture is clear to you, visit a specialty store and purchase the necessary fabric. It is advisable not to spare money for this, because depending on the quality of the fabric, the cover may serve you either a lot, or too little.
- The next step is to measure all parts of the furniture – the back, seat, armrests. Fix all measurements. For puffy and voluminous ruffles we will determine the length of fabric, multiplying the perimeter of the chair by two. To make it easier to understand, it is recommended to write down the name of each part, its length, depth, and width. Counting the meterage, do not forget to take into account the darts and protections, which will ensure a snug fit, as well as folds, hems and ruffles. Do not forget about the extra centimeters (about 20 if we are considering a classic armchair).
- When the measurements have been completed, you need to decide on a list of items that may be needed during the sewing process. It is extremely important that you have a sewing machine at home. It will save a lot of time. Also, right away you need to prepare a prepared fabric, taking into account the measurements. Beginners are also advised to use an old fabric, as a test piece. After all, it is not always possible to immediately create a normal cover in the absence of experience.
- Cut the cover from the fabric on the chair. According to the measurements that were made earlier, cut out the necessary elements for the future protective fabric. The pattern for each element of the chair must take into account the extra centimeters for reserve. You will be able to cut them off later.
- Directly sew the finished chair cover.
Of course, the task of sewing a protective fabric on a chair is not the easiest. Therefore, most homeowners find it much easier to go out into the city and buy ready-made products in one of the stores. Moreover, most brands have a simplified purchase process, because it can be done without leaving home. To do this, you need to use the online store, selecting the appropriate options. Modern companies offer customers a wide range of choices.
Practice shows that the ideal option would be to purchase several chair covers at once. For example, when one of them is washed, the homeowner uses another. Also, do not forget about the parties that can be held at home. To surprise guests and make the interior more positive, you can choose a bright and expensive fabric.