• Investment in agriculture hit $403 million in the first quarter of 2017, 58.2% more than during the same period of 2016, the Ukrainian Club of Agrarian Business reports. Total investment in Ukraine increased by 22% during the first quarter, compared to the first quarter of last year.
• The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will open an office in Kyiv by the end of this year, according to FrontNews International. JICA is a key strategic partner in the implementation of Japan’s large-scale infrastructure aid projects in Ukraine.
• The International Finance Corporation projects a sharp increase in its investment this year. Part of the World Bank Group, the IFC predicts $250 million to flow into Ukrainian projects this year.
• The Association Agreement with the European Union has been formally ratified and is scheduled to begin in September 2017, Ukrinform reports. Most of the free trade agreement went into effect in January 2016..
• Ukrainian energy company Fuhrlaender Windtechnology is negotiating to expand a wind farm in Ereymentau, Kazakstan, on the steppes 150 km northwest of Astana. Fuhrlaender is Ukraine’s only producer of modern wind turbines.
• The EU will back Ukraine keeping its role as a gas transit country -- as long as reforms continue, said Natalia Boiko, Deputy Minister of Energy and Coal Industry for European Integration Issues. According to Boiko, the most key reform is the unbundling of Ukraine’s gas transportation system.
• Ukraine will soon see organic Canadian fertilizer used on its fields. Earth Alive Clean Technologies has gained registration and aims at benefitting crops from the country’s 32.5 million hectares of arable land.
• A 42-room hostel with free wifi is now open within Chernobyl’s 2,600 km exclusion zone, PressTV reports. In the 1990s, well after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, the exclusion zone started receiving chaperone visits of day trippers. A few elderly villagers live in the area.
For comments and story ideas, please contact UBJ AM editor Mark Satter at firstname.lastname@example.org